We all know that losing weight isn’t easy, especially that eventual plateau.
Those last few kilos of weight can be an absolute nightmare to get rid of.
Of course, extra strict dieting and extra cardio can help – but supplementing with a fat burner might just help you get there, that much more easily.
Obesity across Australasia is a growing problem, with The Australian Institute of Health and Welfare claiming that over 60 percent of the adult population is obese or overweight; and this number is still on the rise (1).
It’s just as much of an issue in New Zealand, which currently ranks as the country with the third-highest rate of obesity in the OECD (2).
How Do Fat Burners Work?
Quality fat-burners work through a combination of effects:
- Increases in metabolic rate
- Promotion of thermogenesis – the burning of fat as fuel
- Energy and focus-enhancement
- Appetite suppression
A good, solid fat-burner will take full advantage of at least 2 of these effects, and will go a long way in helping you shed extra weight.
You should, however, keep in mind that fat-burners are not magic pills. Like any other supplement, they are simply an aid to a decent combination of diet and exercise – they won’t do any wonders on their own.
If you were hoping you could take a fat-burner and lose weight without any extra work, unfortunately you’re mistaken.
What they can do, is enhance the results that you would already get from your diet and exercise program, and maximise the output of your hard work.
They also have the potential to make this work a little easier, by providing you with extra energy, motivation, and more.
Why Athletes Use Fat Burners
Your first thought would be that athletes are the last ones on earth who would need to use fat burners, because, well… they’re not fat.
However, fat burning supplements have their benefits for athletes too – they have the ability to spare precious carbohydrates, and tap into fat stores for fuel instead.
You may have heard of the “wall” that athletes hit, where they completely run out of energy. This is where the bodies’ limited carbohydrate stores are fully depleted.
But, if they can tap into fat stores more easily for their regular energy needs, it saves more quick-releasing carbohydrate energy for the times where it really matters – like competitive events.
Of course, these benefits aren’t just limited to athletes by any means.
Fat burners can help your diet and exercise regime by:
1. Giving you an energy boost
When you’re losing weight, you’re either eating less food, or burning off more of it. Either way, you’re supplying yourself with less food energy for the day, which can take its toll both physically and mentally.
A large majority of fat burners contain stimulants like caffeine, which help to make up for this. Stimulants are extremely helpful since they boost energy levels, but don’t supply extra calories that counter your progress.
Matter fact, not only do they provide zero calories when consumed, but they often burn extra calories too, boosting your results.
2. Helping to control your appetite
While burning extra calories is the goal of some fat-burning ingredients, others focus more on stopping you from consuming them. A good fat burner with provide both of these benefits.
Needless to say, the benefit of eating less food means you have less calories to burn, forcing your body to turn to its fat stores.
One other aspect of appetite reduction is the mental side of things – less intense hunger while dieting means you can focus more on what’s in front of you, and not get so distracted by snacks or chowing down your next meal.
3. Improving concentration
As mentioned in point 1, physical fatigue isn’t the only thing dieting can cause – it can be extremely mentally draining, too.
This can often result in a lack of focus and a dampened mood, which can make your everyday activities much tougher to get through than usual.
Certain ingredients in fat-burners are included specifically for improving mood and concentration under stress, eliminating those symptoms of “diet brain”.
BEST FAT BURNERS 2017
To get you the best results from your fat-burner, we’ve scanned the market to find the absolute top of the range – available in both Australia and New Zealand for 2017.
# 1st Place: Instant Knockout
Put simply, Instant Knockout is an all-round winner when it comes to a fat-burning supplement.
It skips the gamble of under-researched, new ingredients which often make over-the-top promises, and instead combines solid doses of the best-proven ingredients we already know to work.
Although it’s targeted at athletes, it will benefit anyone wanting to boost their fat-loss.
The multi-pronged formula will boost your metabolism and energy levels, increase fat oxidisation, reduce appetite, and even boost your testosterone with its extra ingredients.
Instant Knockout includes:
- Caffeine: Raises metabolic rate and increases energy levels
- Green tea extract: Increases fat oxidation by 17% compared to placebo (1), and can also increase insulin sensitivity
- Cayenne pepper: Contains a compound called capsaicin, which suppresses appetite and can increase both calorie-burning and fat oxidation
- Green coffee extract: A source of chlorogenic acid, which can improve heart health and fat loss by regulating blood sugar levels.
The above ingredients on their own provide great fat-burning effects, but Instant Knockout doesn’t stop there.
Their additional “helper” ingredients give it an extra edge. These include:
- Chromium: An essential mineral that controls blood glucose levels and suppresses appetite
- Glucomannan: A special type of fibre that swells in the stomach, which further reduces appetite by making you feel fuller
- Black pepper extract: A unique ingredient that helps to boost the absorption of other ingredients
- Zinc and vitamin B6: These two ingredients work together to boost testosterone, recovery, and improve overall health.
Thumbs Up For:
Using a whole range of different ingredients that boost calorie-burning, fat-oxidation, energy levels, and suppress appetite.
Instant Knockout is a solid, all-round formula that doesn’t overhype new ingredients or claim to do anything radical. It takes ingredients that we already know to work, and combines them effectively to cover all bases.
Where to Buy It:
Get it from their official website, www.instantknockout.com
# 2nd Place: Annihilate
BPM Labs’ Annihilate is our second-best fat burner of 2017.
Like Instant Knockout, it’s aimed at athletes, but can do wonders for anyone looking to shed some extra kilos of fat.
Annihilate contains the staple ingredients of green tea and caffeine – which when combined can do a great job of both oxidising fat and raising your metabolic rate.
In addition to this, it includes a whole range of complementary herbal ingredients which further increases in metabolic rate, mood enhancement, and appetite suppression.
These extra ingredients include:
- African wild mango: Helps with weight loss by suppressing appetite.
- Cocoa extract: Improves mood, concentration, and insulin sensitivity.
- Citrus aurantium (bitter orange): Strong stimulant and fat-burner, similar in structure to the now-banned ephedrine. Works very well when paired with caffeine.
- Naringin: Found in grapefruit, this compound increases the potency of other ingredients.
- Niacin (vitamin B3): Great for overall health, and can promote a healthy balance of good and bad cholesterol levels.
- Taurine: Prevents any possible cramping caused by other fat-burning ingredients.
- Thiamine (vitamin B1): Helps to process carbohydrates into energy.
- Nandina domestica extract: Contains a compound called higenamine – also similar to ephedrine – for fat-burning.
- Tetradium extract: Believed to have fat-oxidation and stimulant effects.
Thumbs Down For:
A couple of ingredients like nandina domestica extract and tetradium extract are not very well-researched, and may have some unknown side effects.
Additionally, the effective compound found in bitter orange is very similar to ephedrine, and should be taken with care.
There’s no denying that Annihilate provides outstanding results, but we think it’s important to know there is a question mark over the safety of some of its ingredients.
Where to Buy It
Annihilate is available from a bunch of online stores like Fitness Market and Australian Sports Nutrition.
You can also go straight to the manufacturer, BPM Labs, who offer global shipping.