We review the best caffeine pills Australia in 2024…
Australia is a nation of coffee lovers. Most of us (75% of the population) drink at least one or more cups of coffee a day. That’s because we know that caffeine can boost mental and physical performance (and taste and smell great!) — there’s a reason caffeine is the most consumed stimulant across the world. But what if you could gain your caffeine shots quicker and easier, without the potential crash that caffeine can bring?
Caffeine pills are popular with students, professionals, athletes, gym-goers and others alike. They provide a shot of energy for the body and brain — helping you to focus better, exercise more, and get through a busy day.
Here, we reveal our top caffeine pills to buy in Australia in 2024.
Our Choice of the Best Caffeine Pills in Australia
- Best Non-Crash Caffeine Pill: Performance Lab Caffeine 2™
- Strongest Caffeine Pills: EVLution Nutrition Caffeine
- Caffeine Pills with a Twist: Fit Caffeine Energy Gummies, SUP
We believe each of these pills has something special to recommend it. Read on to find out what.
But first, let’s look at what caffeine pills are, what they can do for you, and if they’re safe to take.
A Buyer’s Guide to Caffeine Tablets and Pills
What Exactly are Caffeine Pills?
Caffeine pills or caffeine tablets are legal dietary supplements that contain powdered caffeine. As we mentioned above, caffeine is one of the most popular – and safest – stimulants around if used the correct way and in the correct dosages. We wouldn’t go above 200 mg per caffeine pill, and you’ll usually find them in smaller dosages, say around 50 mg of caffeine per capsule.
The best caffeine tablets will also include additional ingredients, such as amino acids like L-theanine or vitamins and minerals to help reduce any negative side effects such as jitters or anxiety.
This is one reason why we recommend Performance Lab Caffeine 2™- a crash-free caffeine pill – as our favourite overall caffeine supplement in Australia. More on that shortly.
Why Are Caffeine Pills Useful?
Caffeine can be useful for several reasons, such as:
- Providing a mental boost, helping with focus, motivation, alertness and energy.
- Providing a physical boost, helping with endurance, exercise intensity, and more. For this reason, some use it as a pre-workout.
- Acting as a fat burner. Caffeine raises the metabolism and burns more calories, potentially helping with weight control.
Are They Safe?
Caffeine consumption has been a popular pastime for thousands of years and when compared to other stimulants, it’s pretty safe. Most experts agree that taking up to 400mg in a day shouldn’t cause any undue dangers – but you will need to find the level that is right for you.
Some people are particularly sensitive to the effects of caffeine, meaning that even small amounts can overstimulate them. Being sensitive or taking too much caffeine in a 24-hour period can cause heart palpitations, nervousness, jitters, anxiety or insomnia if taken towards bedtime.
For that reason, you must watch your caffeine consumption and your total caffeine levels from everything that you drink or consume in one day. We would recommend taking a caffeine pill that has a gentle dose of caffeine per capsule – such as Performance Lab Caffeine 2™ – because this allows you to moderate your dose and assess your tolerance.
Medical note: Caffeine pills should not be taken or given to pregnant women, breastfeeding women, or children.
How Long do Caffeine Pills Take to Work, and How Long do they Last?
So, how quickly do caffeine pills take to work? Will you feel an almost instant energy boost, or should you be prepared to wait a while? On average, you should expect to wait about 45 minutes for a caffeine tablet to start working, and its stimulating effects should last for about four or five hours.
The latter can be a bit flexible because it depends on your circumstances: namely, the amount of caffeine you consume, how tolerant you are to caffeine, and whether you take them on an empty stomach or not.
If you’re a frequent caffeine user or coffee drinker, for instance, you may need two pills to feel the stimulatory effects of caffeine. If you take them after a heavy meal, they won’t feel as strong to you as if you took them on an empty stomach.
Whichever pill you choose, you may be advised to take them more than once during the day to prolong their effects. But we advise you to avoid caffeine for up to four or five hours before you intend to sleep or else you risk insomnia.
How Should You Take Caffeine Pills?
It’s easy to take caffeine pills: just consume them with a drink. Water is probably best. Or, in the case of gummies, just eat them. But remember, they’re not sweets!
Be sure to track your entire caffeine consumption in one day – there’s also caffeine in coffee, tea, cola, energy drinks or sometimes in other supplements, such as sports supplements or nootropics. As a general rule, 400mg of caffeine a day is considered a safe limit. Of course, if you suffer from any side effects, stop using the caffeine pills or take fewer of them.
Now it’s time to reveal our favourite products for the best caffeine pills Australia…
Top Caffeine Pills to Buy in Australia in 2024
Best Non-Crash Caffeine Pill: Performance Lab Caffeine 2™
- Formerly known as Performance Lab Caffeine-Plus.
Formerly known as Performance Lab Caffeine-Plus (and before that, Performance Lab Stim), this supplement from Performance Lab is our top choice for the overall best caffeine pill Australia. It provides cleaner stimulation and contains a formula that works hard to deliver a caffeine boost and stimulation without any of the negative side effects of caffeine products.
It includes six extra ingredients that:
- Boost stimulation and mind/ body energy
- Reduce jitters, anxiety and other negative side effects of stimulants
- Encourage the body to recover quicker.
So, in short, it’s a crash-free caffeine pill. It also contains a modest 50g of caffeine in every pill, which is about or just under the amount included in instant coffee. It’s enough to give you a gentle jolt of stimulation without any jitters.
Compared to some other caffeine pills on the market, this may seem like a lower caffeine dosage, but that’s because it’s made to give you options — at 50mg of caffeine per capsule, you can choose your own dosage. Take one pill, or two (or even three, but watch your overall caffeine sources). And change your dosage the next day if you want.
This flexibility puts you in the driving seat and makes it easy to gain a dose of extra energy when you want, allowing you to take extra on those days that you need more of a boost. This isn’t something you often get in other caffeine pills which have a higher caffeine content and therefore are more limited in use.
That’s one reason why we recommend Performance Lab Caffeine 2™. Here’s another…
This product contains a generous dosage of extra ingredients to further improve your experience. They are:
- L-theanine boosts the stimulation of caffeine while simultaneously reducing its potential negative side effects. L-theanine is an ingredient found in green tea and explains why you experience a calming effect when drinking it. The mixture of caffeine and L-theanine is known as ‘Smart caffeine’.
- L-tyrosine: Another amino acid that is a known nootropic (boosting cognitive function) and also helps to replace adrenalin, dopamine, and norepinephrine which can be depleted by caffeine use.
- B-Complex Vitamins: The vitamins B2, B6, and B9 (folate) included in Performance Lab Caffeine 2™ help to further strengthen neurotransmitters, while B2 aids energy production in the cells.
All in all, this product has fewer side effects than many other conventional caffeine supplements on the market. Its unique formula with added amino acids and vitamins prevents overstimulation.
- Crash-free caffeine pill
- Suitable for vegans
- A modest dose of caffeine per capsule
- Clean stimulation and formula: No GMO, allergens, synthetic additives, banned substances, gluten, or soy. Non-irradiated.
- Produced in FDA-approved labs to the highest standards.
- Only available from the manufacturer’s website, though this allows discounts
Strongest Caffeine Pills: EVLution Nutrition, Caffeine
EVLution Nutrition has created a highly potent 200mg caffeine tablet — this is for anyone who wants an ultra-strong hit of caffeine and would probably suit those who have a high tolerance to caffeine and need higher dosages to experience the same effects.
One tablet of Caffeine by EVLution Nutrition provides HALF of your daily recommended maximum caffeine limit – 200mg. Many users report that they take half a tablet a day.
There’s no doubt this product delivers a strong boost of energy, but it’s a shame that the manufacturer didn’t choose to add L-theanine to counteract any negative side effects.
We’d recommend sticking to one tablet per day and to take it before mid-afternoon or else it may impact your sleep. According to the instructions, you can take two tablets if you prefer but you’re warned not to consume any other caffeine sources. In our opinion, it’s too easy to overdose, so we would advise against it. And, if you’re new to caffeine products, we’d recommend you try half a tablet for the first few days.
- Very reasonable price
- One bottle lasts for 100 days (assuming you take one a day)
- Strong dosage of caffeine for those who want a stronger jolt
- Many users say they only need to take half a pill
- No L-theanine, L-tyrosine, or vitamins to counteract any negative side effects. Some users report feeling anxious or nervous after taking these.
- Some users warn of a laxative effect with these tablets
- Pills are not easy to cut in half and don’t have any cut marks.
Caffeine Pills with a Twist: Fit Caffeine Energy Gummies, SUP
Here’s something a bit different: caffeine energy gummies.
If you prefer your caffeine to come with a sweet injection, these could make a good alternative for you. The gummies come in wild berry flavour, and five gummies equal one cup of caffeine (80mg).
You are recommended not to exceed five gummies a day. That means one pack will last 13 days, which could become expensive in the long run.
We’d also recommend keeping them well out of reach of any children in the house.
- Australian-owned and made
- Flexible: choose how strong a dose you want
- Includes vitamin B12 for serotonin and dopamine support
- 99% sugar-free
- Each individual gummy is quite weak and you’ll need to take quite all five to get a decent buzz
- As well as your caffeine, you’re also getting glazing agents, sweeteners, and flavourings.
- Only 13 servings per packet, so it doesn’t even last two weeks (assuming you take all five gummies each day)
Please keep away from children.
Caffeine supplements can lend a helping hand to your day, providing more energy to get through that project or giving more endurance for your workout. They’re a very popular stimulant. And if you take them in the way they were intended, and stick to the prescribed dosages, they should be safe. Just make sure you don’t exceed 400mg of caffeine per day.
We would also recommend you choose a caffeine tablet that includes L-theanine and other ingredients to protect against some of the negative symptoms that may occur from taking caffeine. For that reason – and because Performance Lab care for your health and well-being – we heartily recommend Performance Lab Caffeine 2™ as our favourite of the best caffeine pills Australia.
There are stronger caffeine products, it’s true (such as EVLution Nutrition above), but we believe staying safe is more important. As is having the flexibility to alter your dose depending on how you’re doing on any given day. Performance Lab Caffeine 2™ offers both of those things and more.